Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Windows Server 2008 on old hardware

I thought I would use a computer from 1999 for a server at home. It was a Dell workstation designed for two CPUs. I bought it with just one and a few years later added a second CPU and more memory, later I added a second hard drive. I managed to have one of the fastest computers on my floor in college for at least two or three years.

Now with two 450 MHz Pentium III processors and only 512MB of memory, I decided that the minimums for Windows Server 2008 didn't matter and I would try it on this computer. I wanted to learn more about managing a server. I also wanted to move my other computers at home to a domain so inter-computer sharing would be better managed.

I experience using roaming profiles at work and thought it might help with using multiple computers here at home (my desktop and my laptop).

Here are some websites that I found helpful in this endeavor:
The reason for the middle one is that it seemed to a more correct listing of the security settings for the redirected folders share.

No comments:

Post a Comment