Tuesday, December 1, 2009

SQL Server and a Domain Service account

In my last post I described setting up a new server. Well, I also wanted to try learning ASP.Net with IIS and with SQL Server 2008 express. The SQL Server 2008 install documents recommend using a domain user, in fact they require it if installing on a Domain Controller. It took me a couple tries to get an account with the correct privileges to run the SQL Server service. I used the Group Policy Management tool to edit the Group Policy Objects (GPOs) of the domain.

The Web Install wouldn't work, so I downloaded the large file. I then failed the first install, tried to repair, then uninstalled and started over. I messed up the user account and permissions the first time and managed to get them correct the second time. The following two pages help explain what permissions the user (or group the user belongs in) needs.
Finally I had to enable TCP and open the firewall so I could access it from my other computer. As explained in Configuring the Windows Firewall to Allow SQL Server Access.

No comments:

Post a Comment