Friday, January 2, 2009

Things I hope Windows 7 fixes

I decided to make a list of quirks that I have experienced in Microsoft's Windows Vista (Ultimate) and will check too see if they are fixed in the next version of windows; Windows 7.

Windows Media Center (When connected through a Windows Media Extender and to my TV)
  • Programs that decide to show a window at startup (logon) flash a window over the media extender window.
  • When the computer needs to be restarted for an update, a notification keeps flashing on my TV.
  • There is no on screen keyboard for those forms that web pages like to have
  • There is no virtual mouse for the remote to navigate those web page interfaces.
Networking
  • When I have VMware installed with the virtual network drivers enabled, Windows Vista likes to block me from my own network. It clams that the (unconnected) virtual network cards are Public. If I change this to Private, then they are reset at least every time the computer is resumed if not more often. As long as a single network card is Public, I can't browse the computers, shares, and networked printers on my home network. At least enable this but block the public networks.
  • There is no option to change the name of a network. I am using Hamachi and it can't detect a name, so let me name it.
Backup
  • The backup files functionality only allows for some files, not .exe's and other files that I want backed up because that is how I downloaded them. Common example is installers.
  • It's not clear if the image based backup allows for deframmenting. I don't know of any other image based backup program that can account for files having been defragmented. Windows Vista automatically defragments files, so any image backup program should take this into account. I've usedAcronis True Image Home till now, but can't do differential backups because of the size.
If one of the goals of Windows 7 is to upgrade enterprise computers from Windows XP Pro, it seems odd that the Windows 7 beta installer does not allow for upgrading from Windows XP.

On my laptop, Windows Vista will sometimes freeze for about 50 seconds after logging in upon resuming from sleep. I log in with a finger, so even then I have to wait for it to be done freezing and the wait curser goes away before I can swipe my finger and it is recognized.

Automatic login of notebook computers based on location. Use secured WiFi that are "Home" to verify the cumputer is at home, otherwise prompt for a password upon resuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment