Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lack of good backup programs

I have been trying various backup programs to protect myself in case of a hard drive failure (and with RAID 0, it's twice as likely). I have tried the built in Windows Vista backup, Acronis True Image, and FileBack PC. None of them really seem to meet my needs. I know there is a proliferation of backup programs, but why do none of them work for me?

The requirements I have are the following:
  • If image based, then it can deal with files moving around from defragmentation
  • Makes an image of at least the system drive.
  • Versions the files in an appropriate manner
  • Tracks deletes, but doesn't remove file from backup for a specified period of time (like a month)
  • Can handle all the advanced things in an NTFS file system like sparse files, hard links, soft links, etc.
  • Compression really can slow down a backup; Uses smart compression and only compresses items that will compress. Perhaps a way to track the past compressibility of extensions and let the user select which files are not to be compressed.
  • Allows folders and file types to be excluded from both the image and the file base backup.
  • Can be scheduled through the Windows scheduler
  • File history can be compared using a diff tool
  • Images can be mounted or at least explored
I've used the backup program in Windows 7 Beta, and it's close except it takes too much time. It took 4 and a half days to backup my computer, way too long. Also, what are users of other versions of Windows to use?

No comments:

Post a Comment